Saturday, September 5, 2015

1. Here I am - at the digital course


Hello! This is my dog Martta, an about six year old Podenco mix from the Spanish streets. She is one of the greatest dogs I’ve ever met, and she’s getting me through every single day. I’ve had her about half a year of my 22 years of living, and already she’s exactly like her owner: a little lazy, a food lover and over all enjoying life up to maximum. Actually she is right now sitting on my lap trying to help me with my struggle of typing this text. No, just kidding, she’s begging for my attention after not noticing her in what, fifteen minutes?

Now you’re probably thinking “why on earth is she writing about her dog??” Yes, this is after all a learning diary regarding the digital course at school. The truth is, I have no idea how to write a blog post or how to start it. The most natural way for me seems to be writing about something that I like, something small about myself, something small about the person behind this text. But hey, I learn fast!

Walking in to Laurea Otaniemi’s campus after a long summer vacation (well a long summer working), felt a little confusing. Not knowing at all what is heading us this fall 2015. The first lecture with the mentors and the digital couches took place in the small (and warm) auditorium the 31st of August. It gave us a little idea of what all this excitement of the digital world is. Still I’m not quite sure of all the details, but who cares, learning by doing is anyway the best way of learning!


The biggest eye opener for me was this view. The website that shows us how much the different services of the internet is used every day (yes it shows some other stuff too). Check out this link to "Internet Live Stats" for today's statistics. Crazy, huh? Even this post will be left somewhere in the clouds of the Internet. According to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the world’s population is estimated to be approximately 7.3 billion. Almost half of the world’s population is using the Internet. This gives a little proportion of how “today” the digital world is. 

Next thing I wan't to tell you about is our girl power group. It contains myself, Nelli, Mira, Linda and Tanja. And of course our digital couch Faysal Hasan (Who is by the way an awesome photographer!) and mentor Ilkka Kurkela. Together I think we make what you could call a dream team! ;)


Mira, Nelli, Me, Linda, Tanja (Photo: Faysal Hasan)

Our first group task was to write down “A Dream for 2020”. Our group FTS13 decided to make a short movie. The filming was a lot of fun, but the editing gave us a few gray hairs… But in the end the final result turned out great and I must say I love it! Watch it below, and please show us some mercy: none of us are movie makers or editors, but again, we’re learning by doing. Looking forward to work with new videos and tasks!


This first week gave me a good impression about this digital business course. I'm sure this course will give me good skills in both digital stuff and in English. Hope you enjoyed reading the first blog post ever made by me! Please feel free to leave a comment, in good or bad. Until next time!

1 comment: