Sunday, November 15, 2015

11. Law issues - oh god

(Written on Friday)

Hi you all! This week has been all about law. I'm so.. exhausted, not excited this time I'm afraid!

On Monday we had a lecture by one of Laurea Otaniemi teachers, Marjaana Marmo, with the topic law issues. Like most of the lectures, also this were held in English. It was really tough to listen to all these law terms in a foreign language and it was difficult to catch up. Actually I'm not that into law in general, but I very well understand that it is extremely important to be familiar with this topic. Like Marjaana said, it is not usual that companies have their own lawyers, but it is every employees responsibility to know the basics. Especially the employer should have knowledge about this.

The lecture were mostly about binding contract. Who, How and When?

WHO - First of all, to have contractual competence you have to be over 18 years old. There's also some more detailed laws on minors doing contracts, but I don't find it relevant to this blog. The who-part also includes that the contract can be made by natural persons (like you and I) and legal persons (companies).

HOW - Drafting a contract: 1. Offer 2. Period of validity 3. Response. Offer and response leads to a binding contract. The contract can be both in written or in oral form. I personally prefer a written contract, it's nearly impossible to prove something if there's some issue with an oral contract.

WHEN - Well.. When your making a deal with somebody? No matter if it is a job contract or a business contract. So simple is that. The more important question, I believe, is what to include to the contract.


Because this is a digital business course, we also talked of course about social media. But social media is such a new thing, there is no precise laws and the issues have to be solved by adapting from other similar laws.

This week we also got a whole bunch of tasks regarding the law issues. We started doing them on Tuesday and continued on Wednesday. There was a lot of work, and unfortunately we stated that this week we will not be able to make a video. Boring, I know! The tasks were mostly based on consumer protection and commercial law. This topic was after all quite interesting, but my head is spinning round after this information flood, and I feel I can't actually write down anything clever.. The law issues are a huuuge area. But I think you all know that. Or at least you will know.

On Thursday we went trough the tasks, which I think was really good. I learned a lot and stayed focused the whole lesson due to the lecture language, Finnish! If nothing else, I know I'm going to be more sharp when it comes to customer rights!

As I said this week was mostly about law issues, and I'm a little disappointed on myself this week. My dog has been bored the whole week and I had to priority school work and hobby over her.. But next week hopefully will be easier and I can spend more time with the brown beauty! She really deserves it. But today it's Friday and were going to my boyfriends cottage with a pair of friends and all the dogs, so it's going to be a lot of fun and relaxing!

Martta and the best friends!
Write to you next week, have a great weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment